I have had the idea of organising a basketball camp for a very long time and, in 2016, my idea came to life. In 2016 we successfully completed the first and, in 2017, the second International Basketball Camp Miha Zupan.
Throughout my basketball career in Slovenia and abroad I saw and attended different camps. However, there has never been a camp organised and led by a deaf person with professional basketball knowledge. Besides basketball, I also wanted to offer participants a fun way of learning sign language, something you cannot find with other camps. The time was right. The team and I believed in the success of this project. My main aim was, and still is, to transfer my knowledge of basketball to the younger generation and encourage them to lead a healthy lifestyle connected with sports. Basketball gave me more than I expected, but I still had to overcome many obstacles on this path. I guarantee you that during the camp you will have a chance to get to know me better and that you will not just practice basketball but will also have a lot of fun.
I am sure that our time spent together will pass quickly. I would be honoured, if you were to join me at the camp.
– From 1997 to 2000 I played basketball at the Association of deaf and hard of hearing in Ljubljana which was a part of the 3rd regional league.
– 2000–2006 Slovan Ljubljana, Slovenia
– 2006–2009 Union Olimpija, Slovenia
– 2009–2010 Trikala 2000, Greece
– 2010–2012 Spartak St. Petersburg, Russia
– 2012–2014 Türk Telekom, Turkey
– 2014–2015 Uşak Sportif, Turkey
– 2016– CSM Oradea, Romania
– 2016– Afyonkarahisar (Afyon), Turčija
– 2017– Helios Suns, Slovenia
Achievements with deaf national team:
– 2001 Deaflympics 2nd place
– 2004 European Champions
– 2005 Deaflympics 2nd place
– 2008 European Championship 2nd place
– 2012 European Champions
Achievements with Slovenian national team:
– 2010: World Championship in Turkey
– 2014: World Championship in Spain
– 2015: European Championship in France
In the season 2007/08 I became the first deaf basketball player who was a part of the most prestigious basketball league in Europe, Euroleague. This happened when we played against the team Montepasci Siena on the 24th of October in Italy.
In 2010 I was the world’s best deaf athlete according to the International Committee of Sports for the Deaf – Deaflympics. This was due to my good performances at the World Championship in Turkey, Russian Basketball League and European Championship ULEB.
In 2010 I also received the Bloudek Award for significant achievements in professional sports.
In 2015 I received an award called the “Apple of Inspiration” presented by the Slovenian president Borut Pahor.
In 2016 I organized the first International Basketball Camp Miha Zupan 2016 which brought together 23 children, aged 8 to 17, from five countries: Spain, Austria, Slovakia, England and Slovenia.
In 2017 I organized the second International Basketball Camp Miha Zupan 2017 attended by 62 children, aged 8 to 17, and 18 volunteers, from five countries: Spain, Sweden, Lithuania, Israel and Slovenia.
My hobbies: Bowling, skiing.
My motto: Practice, work hard and you will succeed.